
I didn't think things would change so much in Bangkok while I wasn't in the country for a few months. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how many people were wearing yellow, particularly on Mondays.
This year marks the King's 60th Anniversary on the throne. If you don't already know the King's birthday is on Monday and his royal colour is yellow.) Thai people therefore wear yellow to show their loyalty to the King - it is amazing to see Thailand united. I just had to take some photos. If I had stood in front of a large office building - I'd probaby see a sea of yellow coming out at 5pm. They may look like factory workers in uniform but I can assure you, they're not - random everyday people.
On one level they are showing their loyalty to the King, on another - particularly for the upper/middle class, this is a protest against Thaksin. The political situation in Thailand has been in a such a mess over the past year (not that it was all rosy before as we all know) - it is interesting to see how everything will turn out.
Only in Thailand......... see more of what I'm talking about - guys - those of you who have not been back for a while - be prepared to experience Yellow Mondays! Thailand now has a uniform.
No comments:
Post a Comment