Friday, June 29, 2007

On the road again...

The Great American Road Trip started yesterday, after the past month's warm up long weekend trips to Toronto/Niagara and Washington D.C. This time, it's coast to coast. NYC to San Francisco. My travel companion is Abbey. She's re-locating to that city with big hills and earthquakes! Our new favourite word of the day "Ishkabibble" - - "Me, worry?" Currently no incident on the road despite the fact that I am driving on the right for the first time in my life and that I actually haven't driven since last September! Abbey is very brave indeed.

Sitting here in the living room of Abbey's family friend in Westerville, an old B&B - beautifully and thematically decorated (with lots of American flags highlighting the upcoming 4th July as well. I'm staying in the "Otterbein" room, named after Otterbein College just down the road. I had a restful sleep when I eventually got to sleep - I went to bed early but had my head pre-occupied with the ghost story the family's told me. Apparently, my room's haunted with a 'friendly ghost' who likes to pinch cheeks or pull toes. I don't care if it's Casper or any other friendly ghost, a ghost is a ghost, and if you grew up in Thailand, you're scared of one even if this does not make any sense or is a completely irrational fear. I managed to sleep in the end after deciding to leave the bathroom light on and tucking my toes in tightly and telling myself that I am wearing a Buddha round my neck after all...even if that may not mean much to American ghosts.

Today was a chill day, much needed after such a long drive yesterday - approx 9hrs from NYC through Pennsylvania - with 8 separate scattered storms that last no more than 5 minutes each, breaking up an otherwise beautiful hot sunny day with clear blue sky. Very strange.

So today was a little sight-seeing by car(well, you know...who walks here in U.S. Suburbia?)- checking out Columbus, Worthington and the surrounding - oh and grocery shopping to stock our car for the next drive. This time, we're smarter and got a cooler. No more melting chocolate and there shall be cold drinks! I am being pampered and looked after well and currently stuffing myself with to-die-for, home-baked brownies with Jake and Winnie looking up longingly at me...yes, they're dogs - two beautiful lab-hound mix. Black, shiny coat with the cutest eyes ever. Reminds me of Sampson in Melbourne. Jake is so smart that he can open the door to the backyard - and this is no easy feat. He has to stand on his two legs and get his paws on the handle to push it down! All I have to say is "Open the door" and it is done! (Have not figured out how to close the door yet - I don't think he cares)

Not much to report except that I am being educated about music by the lovely Abbey, a brilliant musician herself (in fact, we're going to get her into a small studio in Kentucky for an interview with her playing her music. This will be aired on radio and also streamed online so will publish the link once we know). Visited this cute blue grass music store where we got free keyrings. Anything 'Free' goes down well these days.

This is going to be a very different kind of land travel than my last summer's cross-continental travel of Berlin-Shanghai but it will be just as relaxing and fun :)

Ciao all until next blogging session...probably from Texas!

1 comment:

yoni said...

Hi Sa. Maximum Respect. Coast to Coast sounds like a lot of fun. Don't get killed. Oh but then I think you're back int NYC already. Oh well, advice still stands.