After a unexpectedly long drive (due to traffic and storm) we arrived safely in the land of cowboys, Dallas, Texas. Between my last blog and now, I don't even know where to begin about our eventful couple of days...the scenery has changed so much from the Northeast, the accent thick, the people..l-a-r-g-e-r.. and more annoying insects! My legs have already been bitten to death and one Dracula-inspired mosquito decided to take one juicy bite on my neck...I don't believe that this will make it immortal..oh well..
On Friday we said our good byes to the lovely Bev and Dave in Westerville and head down to Whitely City and very very small town in Kentucky for Abbey's musical fame at "Whay 98.3". The back roads we took to the studio were beautiful. The interview was fun and I held back my hands despite the urge to fidget and press buttons in the studio - instead, I scribble and drew and started brainstorming on Abbey's EP album cover that needs designing. The DJ is quite a character - he is funny but certainly not a journalist and in that sense, the interview was more of a chat and it'll mean a lot of editing. His girlfriend who we thought looks like Nicole Kidman was there and she almost took over the show by asking lots of questions instead. On second thought I think she looks like Joanna Lumley, if only Joanna Lumley was American.
After Abbey's recording session we headed to Nashville, Tennessee - guitar town U.S.A. The music city has a lot to offer - lots of Elvis around the place and we weren't even in Memphis yet. (We did pass Memphis but did not stop to sight-see.) We noticed the 'bat building' from the high-way and I was actually surprised by the skyline. Nashville certainly has character, lots of places of live music (of course, duh) and I wish we had more time there but it was a trade-off for the recording session at the radio station which was a different kind of experience.
The next day (yesterday) we then hit the road again and pretty much spent most of the day on it, crossing over the Mississippi River into Arkansas early afternoon. My American music education continues - Steve Earle...Mike Marshal... Would be interesting to stop in Little Rock but we were so stuck in traffic that it was just not possible. My cultural experience was a Walmart stop in the middle of Arkansas (which is extremely flat, by the way) where I must have been the only Asian person there within miles and both of us must have been the weirdest looking/speaking people to them. Yes, I'm already having trouble communicating with my accent(which they don't understand) and their accent (which I have trouble understanding)...just as well I have Abbey with me. Oh and other cultural experience was getting "mooned". Yes, some teenage boy decided that it was a good idea to stick his bared-bottom out the window next to our car just because we're two girls driving on the Inter-state in Arkansans with a New York number plate...actually seems like we're popular with teenage boys along the way...surely, we don't look THAT young!
Sorry still no photos as I have no means of uploading...but once I get back they'll all go up, I'm sure. I'd better go...the lovely Ben (who cooked us the most delicious breakfast and letting us sleep in his living room) and Abbey are waiting for me...we're off to see the grassy knoll, where JFK got shot. We're on it and going to crack the mystery today. Once we work this out, I can tell you who killed JFK but then I'll have to kill you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment