Greetings from Irkutsk, Siberia. The journey was fun - I never thought I could enjoy a long train ride so much. The compartment is pretty cool. I am in the compartment with Kerry (top bunk), Chris (top bunk) and Owen (bottom bunk). We looked out the window, slept read, talked, wrote diaries, played cards, played stupid games (including celebrity heads and hole in one golf challenge) and talked to lots of Russians on the same carriage. There were no tourists at all on our carriage - we got to mingle with the locals a lot more. It was a great experience. Many of the stations we stopped at are so small - there were lots of Russian ladies selling home-made food. All the food was pretty basic (mostly carb - we're all carb out right now) but it ws still good.
So after disgusting 3 and half day (4 nights) on the train, we arrived in Irkutsk yesterday morning and headed straight to the small village of Litsvynka by Lake Baikal. We stayed with Russian family (homestay / b&b type place except they cook us dinner as well as breakfast - The fish is gooood.....raw as well!) The afternoon was spent wondering through the village, walking along the lake. After dinner, I was somehow talked into doing this crazy thing - Russian Sauna by the lakeside, followed by jumping into the lake itself! It was not warm - not even close, despite being the middle of summer, the temperature must have been about 5 degrees. The Sauna is by the lake and has a diving board just off it. All 4 guys on my trip insisted on my joining them and so I went along. I'm so glad I did it because it was brilliant. 15 mintues in the Sauna, 15 seconds in the lake - altogether 4 times. I still can't believe I've done it. My feet just felt like they were about to freeze as soon as I was in the water. There is a myth that anyone who swims in the lake will extend 25 years to their life - hmm..not sure I want to live THAT long (4 times in the lake.....) After 3 hours sleep last night and a hike up the hill to the view point (totally worth the walk) I'm pretty tired right now but still enjoying it and having a time of my life. Time flies...
Tonight, we board the train again...heading towards Mongolia! Another 2 nights on the train...what a life....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
the traveller's life... but at least u're seeing the world!!! hey i tot u and yoni were on the same trip??
Only up until Estonia, then I went to Scandanavia, where I still am. Sa, your trip sounds amazing! *jealous!*
Post a Comment