Thursday, July 27, 2006

The World of Ghenkis Khan

After 2 nights out in the Ger Camp with the boys in my group (loving their company, by the way) in the Mongolian mountainous countryside, I am now back to civilisation of Ulaan Baatar. UB is certainly not as attractive - and just as well I don' t have that much time to kill here....hence this blog will be just short summary as I need to dash and get a few other things done in this concrete city.

The Ger Camp was even better than I imagined it to be. My childhood memory of Ghenkis Khan stories on TV (HKK series, usually) left me dreaming of this place for a long time. My Mongolian 'cousins'.

People are really friendly. We had loads of fun horse riding, playing cricket with the aussies/kiwis/mongolians (I even did a 'Yorker' and got a wicket!), playing games, walk, drink vodka (one of the guys had a birthday so we had to celebrate), take photos with golden eagles and yaks...lots of excercise for my unfit body...muscles now aching everywhere. The Ger camp must be one of my favourite places in the world right now - the quiet and peaceful countryside that I am so not used to was just what I needed. My trip will soon come to an end and I am dreading it.

Tonight we are going to cultural show here in UB. We have an extra night in Mongolia and one less in Beijing due to ticket situation but I don't mind. I am loving Mongolia. Right now, I need to dash and get back to the real world of UB.

Tomorrow, it's back on the train for another day and a half....I will get to see some rocky desert and plastic bag trees...so I've been told....

No comments: